John EllisComment

Exterior Updates

John EllisComment
Exterior Updates

Between major projects, we've also tackled a number of exterior projects, replacing and reinstalling a lot of the things we removed at the start of the project.

The most exciting project was probably the replacement of our dinged-up rear panel with a fresh one from the Airstream factory. To date, this is the only bit of work we haven't completed ourselves, instead opting to let Paul and his crew at A&P Vintage Trailer Works do it right. Once it was installed, we took on the tasks of polishing it up (along with the rear bumper) and reinstalling the tail light and clearance light.

Speaking of clearance lights, we replaced the old standard clearance lights with some slightly more modern ones that have a chromed plastic base and clear lenses with amber/red LEDs. The overall effect is that they tend to blend in with the reflections on the skin of the trailer and become much less noticable until they are actually in use. While we were at it, we cleaned up and refubished our tail lights and replaced the license plate holder too.

We also replaced the busted old Fantastic Fans with some new ones we got for Christmas:

Laura's parents came by the ranch to meet Paul and Ann and were kind enough to help us put our big awning back on:

And we tackled some smaller patches in the front of the trailer, fixing some mangled panels caused by what we hypothesize to be a previous owner's super-stiff tow vehicle suspension, and also the battery box openings won't be necessary in the final build.

While you'd think there are more important projects to tackle, getting all these accessories reaffixed to the outside allowed us to start leak-testing the trailer in preparation for the next major project: the interior walls.

Cost Breakdown To Date: $12,085.98

Numbers are in US Dollars. Chart will be updated in each new blog post.